Welcome to the British Aikido Board
The British Aikido Board seeks to:-
- Represent the majority of bona fide organisations practicing aikido in the United Kingdom.
- Support, encourage and promote the highest standards of aikido within an environment of mutual respect for offering styles practiced.
- Raise awareness of the value of aikido not only as a contributor towards healthy living, but also in the development of adults, young people and children, without regard to race, gender or creed.
The British Aikido Board operates primarily through its member Associations. There are 34 currently Full Members with 13 Associate and Probationary Members of regional and national status, who each retain their independence, both technically and financially, with a combined membership of some 7,000 , which includes 1203 instructors holding current Coaching Awards.
The Board is recognised by Sport England , as the only governing body for aikido in the United Kingdom and is a member of the Sport and Recreation Alliance.
The Board seeks to further the advancement of all styles of aikido and to establish and monitor standards of safety and behaviour for practitioners of aikido.
The Board advises member Associations on all relevant UK and European legislation and procedures and develops appropriate policies and codes of practice.
Other services provided include:-
• Insurance cover, for members, instructors and Associations.
• Promotion of a Nationally recognised Coaching Scheme in conjunction with Sports Coach UK.
• Organising a National Course.
• Promoting Club Mark registration.
• Supporting initiatives to encourage the teaching of Aikido in schools.
• Publishing Newsletters and specialist information bulletins eg. Safeguarding and Coaching.
The Board has completed a number of initiatives, arising from the work of their major Governance Audit and through the adoption of a wide range of recommendations, contained in their Aikido Development Plan (which can be viewed here) will support their key objective of encouraging all Aikido groups to join together under this “Aikido umbrella”.
National Recognition for Coaching Awards
For some time now an aspiration of the BAB and the coaching team was to gain some form of national recognition for our coaching awards. A major step forward in the BAB coaching standard and quality has been achieved. I am pleased to announce that as of 1st May 2016 our coaching levels 1, 2 & 3 now carry endorsement from 1st4sport. Our coaching awards satisfied the 9 criteria for the award and was successful on the first submission of the required documentation which included the course content, tutor training, CPD, assessment criteria for the candidates and course review along with other supporting documentation. 1st4sport endorsement is unique in that it focuses on the recognition of high-quality educational solutions, developed by industry experts, which can be shown to be of value to holders of 1st4sport qualifications or for those preparing to complete their qualifications.
Frank Burlingham Coaching Development Officer